Knowing what to eat to live well can be confusing, here are some top tips to help you get started.
- Eat five portions of fruit and vegetables each day
- Base your meals around whole grain carbohydrates
- Keep crisps, chocolate, cakes, pastries and biscuits as a treat, not part of your daily intake
- Trim off all visible fats from meat then grill, microwave, steam, poach or boil your food
- Switch to low fat dairy cheese and yoghurt products
- Eat smaller portions of high fat and sugary foods
- Use more beans and pulses in your diet, they are cheap and nutritious
- Use low sugar products such as diet drinks, low sugar jam etc
- Try adapting recipes to make them healthier
- Limit takeaways to occasional treats
NHS – 8 Tips For Healthy Eating
Practical tips covering the basics of healthy eating and helping you to make healthier choices.
NHS Better Health
Better Health has a range of tools and support to help you and your family eat better.
Healthy Lunch Box Toolkit
A guide to creating a well balanced healthy lunch box for children.